Wednesday, March 26, 2014

The Amazing Power of Focus

I frequently like to put on music while I work, and I sometimes do that in my classroom, too. I've rotated through many Pandora playlists, and I use Spotify a fair amount. I like the music on those sites, but they're more for entertainment than work.

I've finally found a resource that really seems to help me and my students get into the zone and focus.

Let me introduce you to my favorite new website, Focus@Will.

This website allows you to listen to instrumental music from a variety of genres that has been specially selected to get you into a state of "flow." The music is sequenced in an order that draws on neuroscience and research about the impacts of music on productivity. They have a huge section documenting the science behind the playlists

I tried this site while reading some really dense texts for a PhD class, and I really felt like it helped me stay focused and productive. I cruised through the articles in record time! I also had it playing while I worked on writing this morning, and I do feel like it's impacting my personal productivity. It seems to be helping my students as well. 

They have two membership levels -- a free version and a paid version. The free version gives you 60 minutes of each playlist before stopping. You can listen to the playlists multiple times, but it will always be the same playlists. The paid version allows you to set a timer, customize playlists, listen to unlimited music, and track productivity for $4.99 billed monthly or $45 billed annually. I'm currently using the free version, but I suspect it won't be long before I upgrade. It's having a big impact on my productivity. 

If you like to have music on in the background while you or your students work, I'd definitely recommend giving Focus@Will a try. I'd love to hear about your experiences with it in the comments!


I like www.focusatwill.com so much that I've become an affiliate with the site. This means that if you click the links above and subscribe, I'll receive a very small commission. Regardless, I only recommend products or services I use personally and believe will add value to my readers. I am disclosing this in accordance with the Federal Trade Commission's 16 CRF, Part 255: "Guides Concerning the Use of Endorsements and Testimonials in Advertising."

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...